This blog post should have been posted right after the new year, but I felt it was still worth writing about!
For the first time in our marriage, Clay and I joined a church together! Crazy! We have been faithful attenders of church since the day we got married, but for various reasons, just never joined. We have always gone to huge churches, and I think every church we have gone to has had "famous" people that call that church home too. We often sat next to baseball great Dave Dravecky at Woodmen Valley Chapel in Colorado Springs, and Jerry Jenkins (author of Left Behind series) went there too. At Houston's First Baptist church we always saw Beth Moore, and several Houston Astros (and I am sure other people I don't know). Austin's Hill Country Bible Church was wonderful, and country singer Rick Trevino went there and sang for holidays. Those churches set the benchmark on how great a church can be...top notch music, preaching, activities and kid's programs.
Now here we are at Kingwood United Methodist Church! No famous faces, no flashy building, music or anything. But we fell in love with the people at this church. We love the community feel of this church (since Kingwood is basically a small town "bubble" on the outside of one of the nation's biggest cities), love that everyone lives right near us and our kids will go to to school with these kids, love the pastors, our Sunday School teachers and class, and friends we quickly made. This church is also going to great lengths to stay relevant in the Kingwood Community and it is open to ideas and change. I have gotten more involved in this church in the last year than anywhere else over the last 10 years. This week will keep me busy as a board member for one of the biggest fundraisers the church does, a huge baby consignment sale. We look forward to going each week...and look forward to our life in this church :)
Monday, January 25, 2010
New Church Home
Posted by Maryann at 6:04 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment