Thursday, December 6, 2007

a little loren update

Well, this all started on a recent trip to the pediatrician to check out a cough loren had. When Loren was sitting on the table for the doc to listen to her chest, the doctor said "You've got a lot of gas in that belly" to Loren...who is well known for her little tummy. I said "It always looks like that, is that strange?" Anyways...this spurred on a somewhat lengthy conversation about what may or may not be causing that...and she decided to draw blood to test for Celiac disease and food allergies. This became a drama in itself...the nurse tried twice in one arm and once in the other to get blood...no luck...and Loren was completely hysterical as you can imagine. So we were instructed to wait a week and go to a blood draw center. She looked like a heroine addict with her bruised arms :( So we go back on Monday...this time I make sure Clay is along for help. Once again...they try...and no blood. Loren commented on the way home how she didn't like them putting that sword in her arm. So we go back the next morning to let another girl who works there try...and FINALLY...BLOOD!

So today...I check my message and there is a call from the doctor. they always say it isn't good if the doctor is the one calling you. I call back to talk to the nurse or doctor, and they tell me the nurse doesn't want to talk to me...they want Dr. Little to talk to me. Again...not good. So I get the phone call....Loren's number testing for Celiac is very high...meaning it looks like she has that. If you don't know what that is...it would mean a gluten free diet for her.
So now...she has to go see a pediatric gastroenterologist for an intestine biopsy to confirm the diagnosis. This will be a day surgery for her. Not fun. There is a chance her number can be high and she not have celiac...but evidently that is unlikely. We can't get in with this doctor until February...so now we have to just wait, and continue her normal diet. Oh...normal excluding egg whites...the only food she is allergic to from the testing :)

So we ask for your prayers as we embark on this little journey. This is evidently genetic so this would also mean our whole family needs to get tested.
I will say I love our pediatrician for even noticing this, and her daughter has Celiac...so I feel like she really knows what she is talking about.

2 comments:

The DeVore's said...

I am so sorry to hear this about little Loren. We will be praying for you all as you venture through this process. We miss you guys and look forward to seeing you soon!!

Coreen and David Jander said...

What a scary time. Poor Loren. I hope the biopsy goes quickly and the testing is complete soon.
My brother has celiac spru but for years the doctors never thought to test for it (I guess it is rare.) Only in his 30's did a doctor finally think to do so and after years of pain and sickness, he can now enjoy a higher quality of life. If this is what Loren has, I thank God it is able to be treated with diet before she began suffering as so many people do when it is not found.
We will keep her in prayer.
Lots of love to all of you.